Photohunt: Glass

Photobucket

(This is the first part of a another 2 part picture series, Part 2 of my 'glass' photohunt theme can be found here)

I seem to have a knack for being one of the last ones when it comes to Photohunt assignments... But anyway, people say that it's always better late than never, right?

This week, for 'glass' theme, I pay homage to the millions of lives who fell victim to the Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia. As you read in my previous posts (here and here) you'll have realized that I visited Cambodia last year in August during my summer holiday. What was supposed to be relaxing holiday turned out to be an eye-opening experience for me. Cambodia as a country is rich with culture and history and the people there are as courteous as they are kind.

Of course, in order to really understand a country you need to dwelve into the country's history, including the past.

As you all know, in the not to distant history, Cambodia was under a communistic regime held by the world famous dictator, Pol Pot, who estimated to have killed at least 13 Million lives, including Cambodians and foreigners alike.

This is a picture taken in the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. What used to be a school, was transformed overnight into this disgusting prison surrounded by barbed wires. This here is a classroom, now lined up with rows of rows of nameless faces, the victims of Khmer Rouge. All that remains now are these pictures of them, behind these glass frames.








As I left the museum that day, I said a silent prayer to those people and prayed that never again will these events occur.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Portia April 7, 2008 at 4:16 PM
    Wow!This is very interesting.Thought-provoking really!I think i will gonna cry when i will go to Khmer Rouge. So many eerie photos i had seen and these pics you revealed here really caught me.
  2. JulMarSol April 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM
    Spectacular photos. Thanks for sharing them and for the history. I did not know of this. Yes, prayers to all the victims.

    Visit my Site!

Something to say?

Ladies and Gentlemen, take a minute to drop by my own domain, http://fatandbalding.com/!