Student Body with a Purpose?

Category: By Aleckii
Tomorrow will be our annual Student Body Election. I just don't get politics nowadays. If it were up to me- just abolish the whole thing, it's not like student bodies really serve much of a purpose anyways (at least not the one here in Kursk).

Over here, we've had the KMSA Student Body for a long time now (Kursk Medical Students Association), and I've been serving as the newsletter editor for 3 years running (the 1st year as a sub-editor). And all through it all, I've so many things I wished I hadn't seen. Meetings in disarray, high-ranking committee members either turning up late for meetings or doesn't even bother turning up at all, bankruptcy, badmouthing… It’s like a play by play of the OC or One Tree Hill series down here in Kursk. At the end, it all seems like a joke to me.

Take this election for example; a month ago, it was supposed to be held on a Wednesday, but postponed last minute because students complained about how there wasn’t a proper election committee for the event. So an election committee was formed, and about a week later, the Chairman of the Election Committee passed me a some of notices, asking me to paste it up in my hostel. The title read:

'The Reopening Of the KMSA Election'

If you thought that was funny, believe me there those that were worse. I called the chairman, saying that as Malaysians, we have an image to portray, and it would be utterly humiliating to paste up that particular notice. Instead, I redid a copy and emailed it to him. Over here we have students from different nations near and far and I would be mortally disgraced to be associated to a country that pastes up notices saying they ‘open’ elections.

And the election was postponed one week, two weeks, three weeks… Now a month later, we’re finally having our election. It’s so big of a joke; half of the students already said they are not interested in it at all.
 

5 comments so far.

  1. Johnny November 20, 2007 at 9:06 PM
    I'm not going~
    no benefits for us.
  2. lynn-w November 21, 2007 at 10:08 AM
    hehehhe..i didnt go!

    our friend won!

    well, let's believe the best for this year's KMSA!
  3. Johnny November 21, 2007 at 8:06 PM
    I wait and see
  4. LX November 23, 2007 at 3:20 AM
    It is about making a difference in a hopeless situation.
  5. Aleckii November 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM
    lynnwei: Ya, Glad that choc ky got his wish as the vice president

    Johnny: I suppose so, there are some really good ideas thrown around already so far

    lynn xuan: Yea, you're right. I never saw it that way...

Something to say?

Ladies and Gentlemen, take a minute to drop by my own domain, http://fatandbalding.com/!