Photohunt: Wooden

Category: , , By Aleckii



This is a picture of the wooden barracks (through barbed wires) found in the Nazi Concentration Camp in Auschwitz, Poland, where I visited this past winter.

I must say the whole town was enveloped with this gloomy sensation, and it was a pretty dark trip, to see what happened in World War 2.

Prior to this trip, I did some researching about Auschwitz, and posted a question on an online travel forum. Almost immediately I was bombarded by replies, asking me why would anyone even want to visit such a place. Well, first and foremost, I for one do not believe in the concept of Ignorance is bliss. To me, ignorance leads on to stupidity, which later transpires into atrocious montrosity that neither you or me could fathom. And there was a saying amongst the holocause survivors- 'Never Forget'. Which I think is a strong and powerful message. We learn from our mistakes and move forward.

Anyway, hope you guys have a good week photohunting.
 

14 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous February 23, 2008 at 5:11 AM
    Sometimes I still choose to hold on to the belief that "what you don't know won't hurt you". Avoidance isn't the best solution.. but still..
  2. Bengbeng February 23, 2008 at 5:53 AM
    sometimes life just has to go on
  3. ipanema February 23, 2008 at 6:24 AM
    a dark remembrance indeed.

    great idea!

    happy weekend! :)
  4. tx sweetie February 23, 2008 at 7:07 AM
    i just love the simple perfect look of the wooden building.

    I have a wooden Harley Davidson motorcycle you should check it out too

    Wooden Harley Davidson motorcycle
  5. Write From Karen February 23, 2008 at 8:01 AM
    Absolutely. Let me repeat that, absolutely. We should ALWAYS REMEMBER what happened so we aren't tempted to fall into the same horrific pattern again. The same with 911 - don't forget! That is how history repeats itself.

    I finished reading “Night” by Elie Wiesel a while back and well, let's just say, we need to read things like this because it proves how cruel humans can be to each other and we need to learn from our past so we don't make the same mistakes in the future.

    Write From Karen
  6. mjsterling February 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    Nice shot of that wooden thing.
    Wooden Staircase
    Wooden Doorway
  7. **"Liza"** February 23, 2008 at 6:16 PM
    I think people doesn't realized that we also need to embrace the past bot good and bad. wonderful entry for this week theme by the way.Have a great weekend..;)

    My so called life
    Life's Impression
  8. Annelie February 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM
    I agree with you. I think we should embrace our history and learn from out mistakes from the past. And the holocaust is an important part of our history, even though it's a terrible part of the past.
  9. SnoopyTheGoon February 24, 2008 at 2:58 AM
    Good post, Aleckii - thanks for sharing and have a great week.
  10. Medie007 February 24, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    poland!!! i sooo wana go there... wonder when i got the chance to... :(
  11. Dragonstar February 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM
    You are right, we must never forget atrocities, wherever and whenever they occur. Good post.
  12. Aleckii February 26, 2008 at 2:17 PM
    LynnXuan: Well, to each his/her own, right?

    bengbeng: Yea, you've got a point.

    ipanema: Thanks!

    texas sweetie: Thanks!

    karen: Well, it's always nice to find someone who agree!

    ivy: Thanks

    liza: You're absolutely right.

    annelie: No matter how much it hurts, no matter how much it pains, history IS history.

    snoopythegoon: Thanks!

    ah-bong: Visit one day then, I might follow you also!

    dragonstar: Thanks!
  13. Trinity February 26, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    wah.. dark age! Brrrr...
  14. Katney March 1, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    I am sorry I missed this last week. It is an important post--perhaps the best thought I saw for "wooden".

Something to say?

Ladies and Gentlemen, take a minute to drop by my own domain, http://fatandbalding.com/!